Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pumpkin Time

It seems like much of this side of the country is experiencing some crazy weather. The wind was absolutely insane today here in Chicago and I don't think it's about to stop any time soon. This time, it goes beyond our nickname, The Windy City.

For breakfast today, I paired up one Organic Valley egg with a piece of turkey bacon and one slice of multi-grain flatbread. I also had some strawberries on the side. Super good! Ryan is really loving the turkey bacon too. So much in fact, he went out and bought another pack so that his parents can have some when they visit this weekend.


Today's lunch also saw a repeat of Monday's chili and this time I topped it with some Black Diamond Grand Reserve Cheddar. I also had a mixed greens salad with baby carrots, parmesan cheese and balsamic vinegar on the side. The Black Diamond cheese was fabulously yummy, but I think I'll hold off on it next time around.


A couple of hours later, I grabbed a KIND bar to snack on. The cranberry almond version was good, but not as hearty as other combinations.


Dinner also saw a repeat of Monday's Real Simple dish: Chicken with Acorn Squash and Tomatoes. I need more squash in my life. I really do. We usually have it when we make Ellie Krieger's Butternut Squash Soup. Now I want to find squash-centric desserts, other side dishes, and the like. If anyone out there has a recommendation, I am all ears.


Last but not least, Ryan and I got ready for Halloween tonight by carving pumpkins. He and I have never done this together, so this was a lot of fun. Being the crazy and passionate sports fans and college diehards that we are, we each paid homage to our respective alma maters when carving a design. I *just* had to do it. My Michigan State Spartans are No. 5 in the country right now and currently undefeated. I've been waiting for this my entire life, but I never thought I'd see it. Needless to say, football season in my divided household has been a complete blast so far! GO STATE! (Next time, I'll take the photo when it's not pitch black outside haha)


Snuck into the Halloween Reese's Peanut Butter Cups again, too. I should have purchased a bag of candy that I'm not too fond off in order to stay away. Arrrgh!


Do you  have a favorite kind of Halloween treat? If so, do you have an alternative to candy?

3 comments:

  1. Yep, you're pretty brave keeping a package of those around! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pumpkins look great! ps...my fave halloween snack is TWIX. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin carving sounds like fun! I haven't done it in years. I was away this year, but hopefully I can start back with that tradition next year.

    Luckily, I'm not much of a candy person Meaning, I don't ever crave it, but I might have sticky fingers if some has been laying around for awhile. My sister used to get so mad when she'd see I'd have the previous year's candy filled Halloween bag when we were getting ready to go out for the current year. LOL. I have always loved me some candy corn though. The Reese's are quite tasty, I must say. :)

    ReplyDelete