Monday, January 31, 2011

Ten Days Later

Body Moving: Well, it's been 10 days since my last post, and I am happy to report that I have not given up on Step Aerobics. I have been to 3 classes so far, and while I'm not ready to go to the head of the class, I'm sticking with it. I have definitely had my moments where I'm totally messing up, and I literally have to talk myself out of quitting (or giving the instructor dirty looks). But, I figure that as long as I'm moving my body, I'm getting a work out...and that is a vast improvement from where I was in December 2010. I have also incorporated into my workout a cardio kickbox class and some elliptical. "Variety", I think, is what will keep me exercising.

Good Eats: Thanks to Paula Deen at pauladeenmagazine.com, I have stumbled upon my most favorite lunchtime dish--Spicy tomato soup. What's even better is that the prep time is under 10 minutes! Just grab your crock pot and throw in the following ingredients:

1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
3 cups canned chicken broth
1 (29-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (29-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
2 dashes hot sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves

*Serves 6.


For a thicker version of the soup, Ms. Deen melts a 1/2 cup of butter in a saucepan on the stove and slowly stirs in a 1/2 cup of flour. After the combination is thick and creamy, she then adds it to the crock pot. I typically avoid this step, only to keep my soup on the healthy side.

For another tasty treat, try making mini-pizzas on wheat English muffins. I made mine with spaghetti sauce (rather than pizza sauce), low-fat mozzarella, and chopped yellow and orange peppers. This is a great, healthy alternative to your traditional greasy pizza. But, keep in mind they taste best when fresh out of the oven (rather than after being reheated in the microwave).


By the way, I baked these healthy treats at 350 degrees, for approximately 10 minutes, followed by 2 minutes under the broiler.

Let me know if you have any easy, healthy recipes to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment