Thursday, June 24, 2010

A new day and a new dish

A night's rain really makes it hard to wake up the next morning. I was quite comfy in bed when the alarm went off at 7am this morning. But breakfast was going to be good, for I was excited to try my first "Overnight Oats in a Jar" concoction. Here's the scoop:

Overnight Oats in a Jar
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup Red Mill high fiber oat bran hot cereal
- 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp of reduced fat peanut butter


I prepared it the night before, so the oats would soak up the milk and water. In the A.M., I had a cold, hearty oatmeal-like mix and it was mighty good. I also had a mug of Revolution Pear White Tea prior to diving into the Internet.

As I've mentioned before, I log my calories and meals via SparkPeople. Well today was my first day analyzing the nutritional data that went into my Overnight Oats in a Jar. After a bunch of fiddling around with measurements, various programs and other web research, I settled on SparkPeople's recipe creator. I was suprised to learn that my newfound breakfast dish was 528 calories and seemed high in fat at 16g. Protein nearly matched that at 15g, but I was a little bummed. But at the same, this was my first time figuring this kind of stuff out, and I decided I had the rest of the day to keep things healthy.

I had a job interview in the West Loop this afternoon, so lunchtime came very late. I kept with my curried butternut squash soup and quinoa tabbouleh. A glass of Rishi's Mint Rooibos gave me a bit of a break from water.


Come dinnertime, I also dove back into last night's leftovers of jerk chicken and cool cucumber salsa. Add a two cups of mixed herb greens, a few cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions and basil, and voila!


I kept myself busy much of the evening with some well-needed kitchen cleaning. I think I'll close things out with a square of 72% cacao Ghiradelli chocolate and a stack of magazines.

I did skip my workout this morning ... but Friday is my day of intense Yoga. Back at it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment