Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Daze, Food Haze

Here we are at Labor Day Monday and it's been a quiet one in my neighborhood. I had plans to head to the burbs for some biking with Ryan, but a few edits and application deadlines kept me at home.

For breakfast, I had some more of my Love Your Man Steel-Cut Oatmeal. Last week's batch is never-ending, I swear. Today, I topped mine with three-fourths of a banana, a quarter-cup blueberries and a dash of cinnamon. I had my usual iced coffee, too.


Today seriously flashed before my eyes. I had my head down with work stuff for the majority of the day, but did do some baking in relation to one of my job applications. To make a long story short, I had to whip up a quick loaf of Nana Morley's Irish Bread, and I ended up snacking on a bit of it mid-afternoon since I hadn't had lunch yet. I hope to share the recipe shortly.


For lunch, I resorted to my regular back up, a veggie sandwich on Arnold wheat bread with Athenos hummus. Today, I tried the jalapeno artichoke kind and it was really, really good. I also tried McClure's famous spicy pickles, straight out of Brooklyn and Detroit. OMG! You guys, these are the *most delicious* pickles ever! I plan to blog about this fantastic company sometime this week.


My work finally wrapped as Ryan walked in the door around 4:30 and we pretty much started planning for dinner. Since it's Labor Day and September is in full-swing, we decided to rig up the grill in celebration. We prepped lean ground beef and sprouted seven-grain buns from Cybros. Ryan cooked up some baby red potatoes with parsley and garlic, while I gathered some herby mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil for a salad. SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!! I didn't want the burger to end. A fab ending to a relaxing weekend.


Last but not least, I squeezed in an Applesauce Oat Cake during my deadlines today. With dinner still on our minds and our bellies full, Ryan and I had to try a small piece. A light, sweet dish perfect for fall.


Back to the grind (exercise, too) tomorrow, woo!

When you're in the middle of a busy day or week, do you have a healthy go-to dish that sates your hunger?

5 comments:

  1. I have some of those McClure's spicy pickles in my fridge and they are so hot! Love the company and the pickles. I haven't tried the non-spicy variety yet but sure they will come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing a big pan of roasted veggies when I don't feel like really cooking cooking. Always satisfies. Your meals look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracey: Aren't McClure's the BEST? I never knew pickles could be so hot. Keeping my eyes peeled for the non-spicy too.

    Tina: Awesome! What kind of vegetables do you use? I wanna try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That applesauce oat cake looks so moist. I love the flavors of fall. Going to have to give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dinner simply wonderful! You're such a great cook. I as always love simple meal especially one pot meal. Am going to make one pot Briayni rice tonight. Hope you're enjoying your day.
    Blessings, kristy

    ReplyDelete