Thursday, July 22, 2010

Call It a Comeback

There was NO way I was going to repeat Tuesday again, so today's efforts were much more focused and back on track. With some Cherrios with a fourth-cup blueberries and some watermelon, I checked off a bunch of my weekly list this morning.
I also reacquainted myself with my elliptical trainer before lunch and it was great! I'm slowly becoming obsessed with sweating my brains out. After meeting with my uncle over the weekend, a self-proclaimed fanatic about working out, I got a glimpse of what it's like to LOVE exercise. My uncle loves the pain and much prefers when his muscles are aching. For me, I like sweating and knowing I kicked my butt into some serious cardio gear all in the name of feeling good. I don't want to look like a body builder and I don't need to be a size 2. I just want to be at a healthy weight and a healthy size.

Come lunch time, we resorted to Rising Moon's Asiago, Pesto and Pine Nut Ravioli, as I prepped some additional meals later today. Ryan and I have tried several of Rising Moon's ravioli selections and they're pretty yummy and healthy! With some mixed greens with cherry tomatoes and cherries, Tuesday's lunch was pretty filling and fantastic.




I was in a race to get everything ready for dinner, as Ryan and I had a movie date. Sound Opinions was hosting Dazed and Confused at the Music Box Theatre and we are big fans of the WBEZ show hosted by music experts Jim DeRogatis and Greg Kot. And I absolutely love the movie and saw it opening weekend waaaay back when I was a sophomore in high school in 1993. To my surprise, Ryan had never seen it. Seriously, GASP!

Anyhow, dinner featured one of our growing favorites, Shrimp Panzanella, which I took from an old issue of Eating Well magazine. It's a lovely dish (Panzanella is another fancy word to describe "Italian bread-and-tomato salad"), with plenty of herbs and veggies. Serve on mixed greens (we typically use spinach) and enjoy. The croutons are homemade as well and the dish is only 291 calories and loaded with 21 grams of protein.


One of the things I love and appreciate about Eating Well is that they list the nutritional data. Real Simple also has an index listed in the back of their magazine, too.

Shrimp Panzanella:

- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- 4 cups 1/2-inch crusty multigrain bread cubes, preferably day-old
- 1 pound coarsely chopped peeled cooked shrimp (see Note)
- 4 large ripe but firm tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 large green, red and/or yellow bell peppers, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted Kalamata olives, plus 1/4 cup olive brine
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups mixed salad greens

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Mash garlic into the oil with a fork to infuse it with flavor; discard the garlic. Stir bread cubes into the oil until lightly coated. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes, until very crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely.

3. Combine shrimp, tomatoes, bell peppers, parsley, chives, olives and olive brine, vinegar, thyme and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. Season with pepper. Let stand for at least 10 minutes to blend the flavors.

4. Toss the croutons with the shrimp mixture and serve the salad over greens.

The movie was awesome! I laugh out loud at much of it and can still quote several lines. Matthew McConaughey's character is so skeezy and hilarious, he has some of the best one-liners! Ryan loved it, too. But I have to tell ya, movie snacks are mighty tempting. Thankfully I planned ahead and brought Ryan and I some Kashi bars (Honey & Almond Flax) and a Wild Berry Fruit Strip (Archer Farms) and we both split a water. The Music Box Theatre, too, is an awesome Art Deco theater. It was a FAB night out!


My new snack BFF, Siggi's Vanilla Yogurt, capped the evening perfectly. My totals are back in order, too.

Calorie goal 1,210-1,560: 1,420
Fat goal 32-57: 33
Carbohydrates goal 164-237: 207
Protein goal 60-128: 82

See ya Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment