Friday, July 23, 2010

Overnight Oats In a Jar

My sister has requested me to post my version of Overnight Oats in a Jar. But before I get started, I must give a shout out to Carrots 'N' Cake, my most very favorite food and health blog, for sharing the recipe in the first place.

I've seen other recipes hosted across the blogosphere, but I've mostly stuck with Carrots 'N' Cake's, but making alterations as I go. Many use an almost empty peanut butter jar as a bowl so that the oatmeal can soak up the remaining peanut buttery yummyness. I sometimes include a tablespoon of reduced fat Jif.

The recipe as it stands now is at 393 calories. I'm still experimenting for other combinations, so I'll keep you posted.

Here's what I had this morning:



Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup multi-grain or old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup Red Mill High Fiber Oat Bran Hot Cereal
- 0.5 Tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- >1 Tbsp chopped almonds

Nutritional data: Calories 392.7, Protein: 14g, Fat: 10.6g, Carbs 80.8g.

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate over night. In the morning, you'll have a hearty, cold mixture of yummy goodness. High in protein. A different spin to your usual oatmeal. Serves 1.

I am still thinking of other grains or dried fruits that might be good to use. I tried wheatberries a couple of weeks ago and those weren't so great.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Try SparkPeople's recipe calculator. It's the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment