Monday, July 26, 2010

Taco Bake with Turkey and Then Some

Another week in ... summer is going by so fast! BOO!

This morning's breakfast featured Cybros' multi-grain flatbread with Ghee and a sliced banana. I had to have some cantaloupe too, so I included a half-cup with a fourth-cup of blueberries.


Operation Sweating Buckets continued on my elliptical trainer for 45 minutes today. Weird thing, though: my feet always fall asleep around the 30-minute mark. I've been taking a quick break around this time to walk it off, but I've been trying to refrain the last couple of days. My shoes are pretty comfortable and I'm not tying them so tight where I wouldn't have any movement. Does this happen to anyone?

I also completed various dumbbell exercises with 10 sets of 10. Even though I only lost a pound in two weeks, I feel like I'm toning up and losing inches. I am starting to notice that some of my clothing is fitting much more comfortably.

For lunch, Ryan prepared his tasty Taco Bake with Turkey recipe on Sunday night. I know there's various versions of this recipe, however this is one that Ryan came up with years ago. It's mighty filling and tasty, and it lasts us all week long and we love it.

Ingredients:
- 1 package of extra lean ground turkey (we used Jennie-O)
- 1 packet of McCormick taco seasoning
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans
- 1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can of whole kernel corn
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 bag of Tostitos' Baked Scoops
- 2 cups of 2% milk reduced fat Mexican cheese
- Juice of one lime
- Hot sauce to taste

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Cook the ground turkey accordingly until no longer pink. Once cooked, add to a large bowl with tomatoes, black beans, and corn, mix with garlic, chives, jalapeno, red pepper, and juice of one lime, and set aside.

Take a rolling pin and roll over the bag of Tostitos' Baked Scoops until bag is full of crunchy pieces.

In a large casserole pan, spread taco turkey mixture to fill the pan. Sprinkle with crunchy Tostitos' Baked Scoops and top with cheese.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serving size about 3/4 cup. Serves 10-12.




I like to top mine with salsa, which I did today with a fourth-cup of Ortega's Thick 'N Chunky Medium sauce. I can't forget about my cold ice coffee, either.

I noshed on 10 sweet cherries prior to dinner, which featured a selection from the August 2010 issue of Real Simple. Tonight, Ryan and I split the prep work for Spiced Chicken and Couscous Salad. For the couscous, we used Near East's Toasted Pine Nut and it nicely complimented the chicken. The basil included was from our herb garden. Love me some basil!





I think a Siggi's Yogurt is calling my name! Have a fab evening everyone.

Calorie goal 1,210-1,560: 1,407
Carbohydrates goal 164-237: 206
Fat goal 32-57: 37
Protein goal 60-128: 65

1 comment:

  1. Yes, my feet tingle and fall asleep during this activity too! I thought it was just me. Weird.

    ReplyDelete