Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Green City Market

Apparently it's WooHoo Wednesday? I saw the tag referred to via SparkPeople on Twitter this morning. It's WooHoo Wednesday!

This morning, I headed to Green City Market in Lincoln Park. What a beautiful farmer's market! I could have easily bought one of everything! There were countless choices for fruits and vegetables and so many bright, gorgeous colors. The flowers, the desserts, the bread ... Green City Market rules! Here's a look:


Along with the Tomato Festival tastings happening today, Kristine Subido, the executive chef at WAVE, was on hand for some impressive demonstrations. My friend Linda and I had a sampling of her Corn Flake Crusted French Toast with fruit. Absolutely delish! Subido passed out her recipe, so I'll be sure to debut here shortly.

My main goal for today's trip was to purchase some vegetables for pickling. The August issue of Eating Well magazine has a fantastic article on how to preserve some of your veggies in this manner. I figured, with my current job hunting situation, that I definitely have the time to try this out. But I also grabbed some multi-colored cherry tomatoes, mini bell peppers, green zebra tomatoes, and an eggplant. For pickling, I'll be using cucumbers and purple haze carrots.


When it comes to flowers, I'm pretty much a sucker for taking photos. I love being at my parents' house when my Mom's flowers are in full bloom. Anyhow, here's a look at some of the loveliness at Green City Market.


Do you have a favorite farmer's market item or recipe?

7 comments:

  1. What GORGEOUS farmer's market pictures! And a picture-perfect day for one, too. This low humidity is SO refreshing, isn't it?
    I adore farmer's markets. Favorite thing to get is berries, but we usually end up bringing at least two or three bags of goodies home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Farmer's Market looks amazing! Remember going to the Farmer's Market as kids? Loved it! Anyway, my favorite Farmer's Market treat--corn on the cob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Wendy! I know what you mean about berries. They were hard to resist today, but we had purchased some over the weekend. Once those babies are gone, you better believe I'm getting some more at Green City. I also hear that Andersonville has a small farmer's market on Wednesday evenings. :)

    Steph, I know ... I loved when Mom took us to the Flint Farmer's Market. We always walked out with some kind of homemade cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love visiting this kind of places! Love those fresh fruits & vegetables. There's so many to choose from. I probably ended up buying most of those fresh fruits. haha.... Or maybe over spending! Hope you're having a great day.
    Cheers, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing looking market! The one I went to tonight was way tiny in comparison. We didn't have gorgeous, freshly cut flowers :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are gorgeous! I read "Eating Well" too! Let me know how pickling goes, I'm scared to try myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the comments everyone!

    Kristy, you're in an amazing place! What are some of the more exotic fruits that you've come across?

    Joanna, pickling is waaaaay easier than you think. ;) You'll be pickling in no time.

    LeashieLoo, tell your farmer's market to get flowers. Everyone loves flowers, right? :)

    ReplyDelete