Thursday, August 12, 2010

Turquoise Cafe

Last night, I had dinner at the fantastic Turquoise Cafe. I've heard loads of wonderful things about this place, for its Turkish cuisine is supposed to be one of the best in Chicago. My friend, Amy, joined me and we had a great time catching up. I've known Amy since we were ASME interns in New York City in 1999 and this is the first time I've lived in her city. She's one of the smartest, coolest, and most down to earth people I know and I'm lucky to know her.

First things first: I need to get better at taking photos when the sun is still present. And more of them! Apologies for the darkness in some of these.

On my walk to the restaurant, I saw these cute chalk drawings. How cool are these?


It was extremely warm in the Windy City today, with temperatures as high as 90 degrees. By the time I got to the restaurant, the humidity had dipped a bit, making it more pleasant to eat outside. The outside eating area at Turquoise Cafe is secluded with several hanging plants and really nice. But once the sun went down, the mosquitoes were in full effect. Yikes!


For an appetizer, we snacked on fresh-baked Turkish bread, yum! I have no idea what the orange spread was, but it was lite and tasty.


I had a chicken kebap (or kebab) for dinner and it was really lovely. It was marinated in various herbs and served with grilled vegetables, rice pilaf, and yogurt sauce. The yogurt sauce was especially great!

 
The green pepper was also recommended by our waitress, but I thought I'd save that and half of the dish for leftovers. But Ryan, however, ended up eating it when I got home. I had a piece of No Pudge brownie and read my latest issue of BUST. Yours truly has been contributing to this magazine for six years and has an album review of the new School of Seven Bells in this very issue.


Here are my numbers for Wednesday and they're a tiny bit off. I'm still trying to master calculating my nutritional data for dining out. I hope all of you had a great Wednesday. Thanks for reading.

Calorie goal 1,210-1,560: 1,561
Carbohydrates goal 164-237: 227
Fat goal 32-57: 32
Protein goal 60-128: 41

5 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful I LOVE turkish food. We have a place here in The Woodlands (Texas) that is called the Kabob House :+)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SWEET! What are some of your favorite dishes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo... everything looks so yummy in this restaurant. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're enjoying your day.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thanks Kristy! Yeah, I am definitely going back to the Turquoise Cafe!

    Thanks so much for reading! I added you to the blogroll. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS ... LOVE the beagle pic. My sister and I are BIG beagle lovers.

    ReplyDelete